This post brought to you by VISIT FLORIDA. All opinions are 100% mine.
I lived in Florida for a few years, and the most surprising thing to guests as that Florida was more than Disney and the Everglades. You can spend several weeks at tourist attractions and recreational activities and not see a mouse ear.
Homosassa State Park is home to many native species of feather, fin and fur. There is even a resident Hippo. You heard me right. Lucifer is 52 and is the only non native animal in the park. The park used to be a refuge for former animal movie stars and rescued exotic animals, but many of the exotic animals found other homes at the zoo, on Monkey Island or passed away from old age. A hippo can't be easily moved and euthanization was considered. By decree of the sitting governor, Lucifer was declared a naturalized citizen of Florida and was spared. Lu was born with a tooth/tusk growing the wrong way. It prevented him from surviving in the wild, as he could starve to death without being able to properly eat his food.
Instead of a painful fate, he was made into a movie star, appearing in the series Daktari among other appearances.
Ready to meet a movie star?
Enter Florida’s Three for Free Giveaway sponsored by VISIT FLORIDA. The winner will choose three Florida vacations from a list of 12. Choices include:
- Visiting Lucifer and a swim with his manatee friends at Homosassa State Park.
- Destin, Florida luxury getaway with golfing and shopping.
- Lunch with a real, live astronaut on your tour of the space coast and Cocoa Beach
- Horse surfing and Segway riding. Explore the West Gulf Coast in Bradenton, Long Boat Key and Ana Maria Island.
- Ponce de Leon's fountain of youth and explore historic St. Augustine.
- or World Golf Village in St. Augustine.
- Be a dolphin trainer for a day in Miami.
- Enjoy the Breakers Palm Beach and take advantage of the luxury spa.
- 3 days for two at a PGA National Resort.
- Tradewinds Island Resorts at St. Pete's Beach
- Four guest luxury trip to the Florida Keys (Hawk's Cay Resort.)
Find VISIT FLORIDA on Facebook for more details! Sweepstakes ends JUNE 30th. You may enter once per day for a chance to win. ONE winner will receive three of the vacations. There will be NINE additional randomly selected winners who will receive ONE of the remaining vacations – so there really are 10 chances to win.
For me, I would opt to see Lu the hippo again and swim with the manatees (Sponsored by Plantation of Crystal River), I would want to pick an astronaut's brain on Florida's Space Coast (sponsored, ironically, by Florida's Space Coast), and who doesn't want to go to Legoland (brought to you by VisitCentralFlorda.org), even if you don't have a kid with you?